Martes, Enero 29, 2008

philosophies on Teaching

Teaching


Most of us would often think that good teaching can be learned alone from the books that we read and from all the learning that we get from all the courses in Education that we take. Actually, I have read many books and have already taken several courses in the College of Education. And to know that I am now about to finish all of my remaining subjects in the same field, all my learning I think are not just that enough to fully understand what good teaching really is. But whatever it is that I know about good teaching, I did not learn from books alone nor learned from several subjects I have taken.

It is true that books and the Education subject like the Methods and Principles of Teaching( from Dr. Elicay) presented me with lots of learning about teaching; they instilled and taught me how to make lesson plans of reasonable quality; they taught me how to make behavioral objectives – which all I know are useful things to know. Despite all that facts, they are not what good teaching really all about. The books did not teach me to teach. And as for the course, they were almost totally irrelevant.

Whatever it is I know about teaching, I learned in the only way I believe that good teaching can be acquired from actual and concrete life experiences. I believe that it can be learned at least from the following: from the teachers who loved their profession and who believed in what they are doing. I also believe that good teaching , like love itself, is one of the few things that can not be learned from books. And aside from experiences, teaching always comes from within. It is a passing of examples, from teachers to students through generations. It always transcends graduation. It transcends practicum. Therefore it is timeless.

On the topic of my learning and experiences from my practicum at AdNU High School, there are significant things I've learned much about teaching. One of which is that teaching is not just sitting and giving a lesson or talk to the students for them to pay attention. It is not just standing behind the desk of the entire period. This is because of the fact that learning may not take place if this is always the situation. I also have learned that teaching is not just caring, because it is, in itself, is not just enough. It is always a matter of working out and mastering the art of teaching. And also, it is about helping the students become educated and be the best of their abilities and choosing they want to be good. For teaching to be effective and successful, a teacher should know how to learn to make his/her presence known in the class when he/she is teaching, respect the students, and be enthusiastic enough so that to avoid miseries during and after the end of all day's instructions. And one best way not to encounter frights, teachers should plan the lesson everyday, especially before entering classes, so that objectives of learning may achieved.

On the subject of miseries and teaching frights, all of us think and often seen“teaching pressures” not in a nice way. The fact that teaching always entails a lot of pressures, teachers should not see it in a negative perspective. It is that kind that positively influence us to make right decisions and that would not result in dire consequences. Therefore, pressures in teaching is not all (or not that) bad. There is such a thing a positive pressure and it's a good cause to reckon with because it brings out the best to a teacher. Just imagine that it is that one which encourages a teacher to appreciate teaching and challenges him/her to teach really hard. It also teach a teacher to value his/her profession – as his/her life. That is what pressures all about. It can be a way to know limitations, and the what that a teacher willing to accept, and that one that introduces to the “good” things life has to offer. That is why, as teacher, never say “No to pressures”, just appreciate them and stay courageous enough to handle it well. Therefor as teachers pressures should be taken in stride.

Walang komento: